Friday, June 19, 2009

Aunt Heidi's visit to New Orleans June 18-23, 2009

















Hey Young Chefs!

Aunt Heidi came to visit to New Orleans. Nana made a Filipino Fiesta! We had white rice, fried rice, lumpia (a Filipino eggroll), pancit (like lo mein with clear, skinny noodles), chicken and pork adobo (made with garlic, vinegar and soy sauce), ribs, and carrot cake for dessert. It was ma sarap (very yummy)!






















On Sunday, after a Father's Day dinner at Outback Steakhouse, we took Aunt Heidi to the French Quarter. Above, I am standing in front of Jackson Square, one of New Orleans' most famous places. The big building behind me is St. Louis Cathedral, a Catholic church. Here is Aunt Heidi in front of the Mississippi River. See the paddle wheel boat in the background?

















Here I am with my family on a bench in Jackson Square - Paw Paw, Nana, Soleil, and Aunt Heidi behind us.

















We took a carriage ride through the French Quarter. Our mule was named Ada. It was fun but I was a little sleepy. Hahaha

While we were riding through the French Quarter, we saw a miniature horse (not a pony). It was so cute. I had never seen a miniature horse before.

















Here I am with Ada the Mule.

















The carriage ride was fun. We rode for about 1 hour. We learned a lot of important history during the ride. It was my first carriage ride through the French Quarter.

Afterwards, we went to Cafe' Du Monde for beignets! Beignets are French donuts. They are square and puffed up, with powdered sugar on top. My sister said, "When you eat beignets, you can't breathe in and you can't breathe out." The powdered sugar goes everywhere! This is why you wear a napkin bib (especially if you are wearing the color black).

















Here is a picture of me in front of beautiful sculptures at Cafe' Du Monde. I love the bright colors and it's a pretty water feature.

















This man set up a high-powered telescope on the sidewalk - John Brown's Sidewalk Astronomy, right in front of Cafe' Du Monde. My sister, my mom and I were able to see Saturn with its ring! It was so cool.

















We had a fun time in the French Quarter. I can't wait to go back (when the weather is cooler). hahaha

Cool kids cook and eat beignets!

Bon Appetit, Eliana

No comments: